Monday, June 30, 2008

Bios of my buds

Forthcoming over the next few days & weeks will be biographies of my friends.  I often ask interviewees what their friends would say about them, and I wonder how on the mark they are.  So, in an effort to allow my friends to give truthful answers and not have to assume how I think and feel about them there will be biographies.  As a disclaimer, I hate thinking of my friends as buddies.  My thesis chair in graduate school called my pal once.  It made me squirm.  I couldn't think of a b-word for friends that was appropriate.  I did think of an inappropriate b-word, but Bios of my B-yotches might be crossing the line.  The bios come in no particular order of how I feel about my friends, so don't read into it people.  Below is the first.

Renae

Renae

First of all, she hates having her picture taken.

Brief History: I've know Renae for 10 years now.  We figured that out last week.  We had a moment.  We lived together for 3 years while we both attended grad school at UNL.  Then I went to Zambia, but she came and visited me for 3 weeks!  After moving back to Lincoln in 2003 we lived together for another 2 years.  I moved down the street and then a bit further down the street.  Now I'm living with her and her husband for the remaining few weeks/months of my time in Lincoln.  You know you have a good friend if they'll stick by you for 10 years and let you move in when you parent's won't (just kidding about the parent thing, but I really can't move back home).

What I like about YOU!

Renae is an idealist and a dreamer.  Very opposite of me.  But, I admire her for it.  As a realist I feel restricted by reality, so I hesitate to freely dream.  

Renae is one of the wisest people I know.  I think it's a gift, really.  She has an uncanny ability to listen and really hear what you tell her, and she speaks some incredible insight into your life.  I credit Renae with being one of the primary influences on my understanding who I am and liking that person.

Renae is an amazing hostess.  She goes big on parties.  She is also artistically creative and will try her hand at most crafts, art projects, quilts.  I love that she quilts.

Renae has a crazy memory.  She can always give very vivid specific examples of when something happened and how it went down.  She can find a paragraph or sentence in a book she read months or years ago in seconds, though there's no need because she just quoted it word for word

Renae is gracious, she is kind, she loves people well.  She speaks what is in her heart, so you don't have to wonder if she likes you.

There are many more things that I love about Renae, but I'm only sharing a snippit to keep the mystery of Renae alive, leave you wanting more.

6 comments:

  1. Now you know why I married her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh renae, this makes me miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it......what a cute idea. I might steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bio of Renae, Brook--a real tribute to your friendship. (I bet you made Renae cry.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i met her once, you think she will be my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Brook: Thank you, Brookos. (And, yes, I hate the pic . . . except Simon looks cute).

    @Jamie: I miss you back. I just wrote you a message on Facebook. :)

    @RT: Nope. Totally dry-eyed. Ha. How well do you know me?

    ReplyDelete