Saturday, December 27, 2008

Home

I think it was sometime in September when one of my professors asked me where home was.  He clarified by explaining that home doesn't necessarily have to be where I grew up or where my parents live, but rather, he wanted to know the place that felt like home to me.  In my head, that place was Lincoln, NE.  However, after spending the past 6 days in Norfolk, I've changed my definition of home, from being a place to being an experience or emotion.  Home is where I exhale.  It's where I no longer have to try, but can simply be.  Home is Lazlo's with the Seebohms.  Home is the couch at Renae and Jason's.  Home is the Taylor house in Norfolk, when it is brimming with friends.  Home is waking up in my bed in Norfolk, the getting  up to eat the very familiar waffles I grew up with.  Home is the anticipation of seeing Kate and Joie in a few days.  Home is where I don't doubt myself or my friends affection for me.  It's so good to be home.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Brook.

    I remember redefining home after I got married. At that point home became another person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honored to be considered part of your "home".

    ReplyDelete