Friday, August 22, 2008

I figured I should update you

Well,  I'm still here in St. Louis awaiting the start of classes next Thursday.  Tonight is the President's Reception (semi-formal) and tomorrow is orientation.  Then on Tuesday I will sign up for classes.  

 

 

In the last two weeks I have managed to watch Seasons 3-6 of Gilmore Girls.  I feel like I live in Stars Hollow and that Lorelai Gilmore is my friend.  Here's what I've learned from spending so much time with my new fictional friends (television and movies can reveal a lot about one's self, especially since exaggeration of one's perceptions of the world make things so clear):

1. I wish I were more freely expressive and aware of how I'm feeling.  I wish when I was angry I could express that anger in the moment, but not in hurtful way to others.

2. Words are powerful.  It's so easy to hurt others with uncareful speech.

3. Small towns may not be so bad.

4. I'm glad I didn't grow up in New England in a really really wealthy family.  The unhealthy obligations of the rich are so insincere.

5. I hate when pride keeps people from resolving relational conflicts.  The show actually induced tears during several episodes when you could see two people in pain over stupid fights, and they missed out on so much because of it (I know it was scripted and fictional).

6. Jeep Wranglers are cool.

7. If Lorelai Gilmore were my mom she would be turning 48 this year instead of 60.  I wonder what our relationship would be like if she were a teenager when I was born and brought me up as a single-mom.  I'm thankful it's not the case, but TV and make many things look appealing.

8. Manipulation isn't worth it.

9. I wouldn't want to try to attend an Ivy League University, I don't like school that much.

10. I love it when people say what is true, even when it's hard to hear, because that's one way you know that they really see, know, and love you.

1 comment:

  1. So many, many things I love about this post. Obviously, there's the Brookness of it. These are really good insights, and I love it that they came from GG. Something about this post brought up good memories of 2025--I remember you repeating the mantra "people before TV." TV is necessary, though, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete