Friday, November 16, 2007

Not in my job decription

Okay, so in the say day, in the same hour, my role at Scooter's expanded.

The first incident:
After making a vanilla cappuccino smoothie with whip and making small talk with the customer, it was exclaimed to me, "You might know! Where can I get rid of a set of old encyclopedias?" How do I qualify to be one who might know? I make coffee! Anyway, I did have an idea: Lincoln Freecycle. She went for it.

The second incident:
From behind one of our walls I heard, "Hey Brook, is the word "subversive" really a word?"
"Yes, it is definately a word," I replied. Why did the customer suppose I had an advanced vocabulary? Hmmm?
It's not easy to be a barista. You have to always be on your toes.

Definition:
sub·ver·sive [suhb-vur-siv]
–adjective
1. Also, sub·ver·sion·ar·y [suhb-vur-zhuh-ner-ee, -shuh-] tending to subvert or advocating subversion, esp. in an attempt to overthrow or cause the destruction of an established or legally constituted government.
–noun
2. a person who adopts subversive principles or policies.

2 comments:

  1. those definitions don't tell me anything about what the word subversive means. what kind of dictionary are you using, anyway?

    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brooko...this is funny...very accurate...i could see myself asking a random barista these things...seriously, they are a plethora of knowledge. They see so many things in the day, meet so many people, they are like a walking encyclopedia, one that makes a short double shot americano no room for cream and 2 ice cubes...

    ReplyDelete