Thursday, October 25, 2007

Why do we do that?

There are two trends I've noticed at Scooter's, and I have been guilty of myself. The first is that when someone offers to pay for their friend's drink, the friend makes a joke about how they are going to get a large whatever, plus several pastries, etc., and then they settle for a small cheap drink (most likely not what they would have gotten if they were paying for themselves). The question: why do we belittle people's generousity? Why do we feel guilty when someone else offers to pay. It's their choice.
The second thing I see tends only to occur among women. When alone, a woman can order their drink without hesitation for the most part, but when with a friend, they must confer with one another to see what the other is having and what size. This information influences what each will order. The question: Why doesn't each get what they really want? What holds them back? What are they afraid of?
I, henceforth, will strive to be grateful for the generosity of my friends and order what it is that I want.

1 comment:

  1. as for the first trend: i like to go out to dinner with people. let everyone order what they will. everyone eats, then i insist on getting the bill. this avoids the problems as posed by trend #1.

    but then again...i dont give them a chance Not to belittle the generosity...hmm.

    ReplyDelete