Friday, November 30, 2012

Guilty Pleasures No More

I've been thinking about guilty pleasures, and when we ascribe this title to our choices. We only call things a guilty pleasure when we are disclosing to another something we did in which we are afraid we might  be judged for and thought less of. I'm reading a mindless novel right now call 31 Kisses. The writing is sub-par, the romance plot isn't unpredictable, it's PG rated, and I like it. I chose it out of a myriad of options, and when I did, I didn't want anyone else to know. It's not a book I would like to own up to on Goodreads, unlike the Annie Dillard books that I'm proud to boast about reading, because I think others will think I'm an exceptional reader and person.

Why do we do this? I have enjoyed reading my novel, and it's what I wanted right now. But, why do I want to hide this piece of me from others? If I told some of you about my reading choice, and slipped in the phrase "guilty pleasure," you might commiserate with me, and share one of your own book choices you don't want people to know about, and then we would feel bonded in this moment of vulnerability, honesty, and acceptance.

As we hide ourselves from judgement, a judgement we assume will condemn us to be exiled out of relationship, we lose the opportunity to be known and accepted for who we are, flaws and all. It's what we really want--to be known and accepted, flaws and all.

I'm hereby intentionally banning the phrase "guilty pleasure" from my vocabulary.

Things that bring me pleasure, and for which I will not take on the assumed guilt that disclosing them will make you think less of me (If you do think less of me, where is your judgement coming from? What does my pleasure cost you?).

  1. Dance movies--including Magic Mike which I watched recently, and is a really terrible movie with only one exceptional dancer. I didn't like the movie, but I chose it because it was about dancing.
  2. Peanut Butter and Butter sandwiches. That's right, butter.
  3. 31 Kisses, apparently. I also have a few other mindless novels that bring me enjoyment. Let me know if you want to borrow them.
  4. Extra Cool Whip on my desserts. Yum, Cool Whip.
  5. Minor plumbing projects. Yes, I would probably like to help you with yours.
  6. Occasionally watching seasons of The Bachelor.
  7. Shows on the CW and ABC Family (especially the ones about horses).
  8. Friday afternoon carb binges (I don't know why this is a Friday thing, but Trader Joe's baked cheetos are great for this).
  9. McDonald's Double Cheeseburger Meals--there's something about eating hot fries in the car.
  10. Whistling The Muppet Show theme song nearly every day.
Anyone else care to share?

Ps. If you google guilty pleasure and look at the images that come up, it's whole page of Ashley Tisdale (I'm out of the loop on that one) and this. Yes, please.





1 comment:

  1. I have long been annoyed by the term "guilty pleasures," and I will totally buy this as a reason why.

    I watch a a season of The Bachelor now and again, but I think the appeal of teen movies has finally worn off. Go figure.

    I've been known to make a concoction of oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter when there is nothing else sweet in the house. And I get a hankering for Long John Silver's about once every three years.

    ReplyDelete