Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Bible makes me nauseous

So, for my Old Testament History and Theology class, I get to read the entire OT in a semester.  That means I have had to read 10-20 chapters per day.  Today I am in Leviticus.  I got to chapter 13, about leprosy and other skin diseases.  I had to skim.  I had to skim 2 chapters of the Word of God.  It was making me sick.  What if the Levitical priests of the time had weak stomachs?  If they threw up from looking at the lepers, didn't that make them unclean, too?  I could never be a dermatologist.

Tomorrow I will read about bodily discharge.  Now there's something I can handle!

2 comments:

  1. The other day I read Ezekiel 23. What a downer. Pretty much the entire book of Ezekiel so far has been unpleasant and depressing, and sometimes gross: baking bread over cow manure versus human excrement, for example. Thanks, Israel, for prompting the full wrath of God!

    Huzzah for Hosea coming up soon! And the NT is just around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best blog title ever.

    ReplyDelete